This video is my secrets to making great restaurant quality pizza at home.
Tools you will need –
– 1 or 2 Stoneware Pizza Stones
– Pizza Cutter
– Pizza Peel
– Pizza Ladle / Spoodle – A ladle bent flat, see video
Place your pizza stone into your oven, and then preheat your oven to 500 degrees. It is critical that before turning your oven on, that you place your pizza stone into the oven, so that the temperature of both rises simultaneously. Once your oven reaches 500 degrees wait 10 – 15 minutes before starting, to ensure that your pizza stone comes to temperature. Now you are ready to start making pizza!
If you have a good recipe for pizza dough feel free to make your own. Mario Batalli has a good recipe that you can use. I prefer to purchase a few dough balls from a local pizza restaurant.
They usually only charge me a few dollars for two or three dough balls and it makes the process a little easier. Ask the manager at your favorite local pizza shop if they will sell you large dough balls, in my experience most will not have a problem with it.
– Make sure that your dough temperature is at 60 degrees Fahrenheit before pounding out your dough. If your dough is too cold you will end up with lots of bubbles when you cook the pizza.
Pizza Sauce –
Enough for 4 large pizza’s
1 28 oz container Pomi Strained Tomatoes (You can substitute Hunt’s Tomato Sauce if Pomi is unavailable)
1 6 oz Can of Hunt’s Tomato Paste
½ tsp Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsp Salt
1 tsp Oregano
Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix together until smooth. If you have time, let the sauce sit for at least an hour before making your pizza. You want all of the flavors to come together. You can even make the sauce a day ahead and store it in your fridge until you are ready to use it.
Cheese Combination –
I like the following combination, but feel free to experiment and try different cheeses.
– Sliced Provolone cheese (I like Sargento or Boar’s Head)
– Sliced or shredded mozzarella (Some mozzarella cheeses, especially the shredded version don’t have a lot of flavor)
– Shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
– Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese
If you have any questions please leave a comment below, I will make sure to answer. Have fun and enjoy making tasty pizza in the comfort of your own home!
Watch The Video Again: